The company was earlier known as Farmers Mutual Automobile Insurance Company, when founded in 1927. It was founded by Herman Wittwer. When the company was started, it gave insurance to farmers who usually keep their vehicles in storage durig winters.
Later the name was changed to American Family Auto Insurance in 1963 and lists of insurances provided by the company also increased.
It now includes around 19 states namely: Arizona, Colorado, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington and Wisconsin. The company has above $5 billion in policy holder equity. The headquarter of the company is in Madison, Wisconsin.
Auto Insurance Products
American family has a network of 3,500 agents through which it sells its auto insurance products. If you have auto policy, you can buy collision, comprehensive, bodily injury liability, property damage liability, uninsured/underinsured motorist, medical expense insurance and personal injury protection.
You have an option to receive quote online or can visit local office too. American Family auto insurance offers variety of discounts like Auto and Life discount, multiple vehicle discount, Accident free discount, good student discount, air bag discount and auto and home premium advantage.
• Auto Rental Reimbursement Coverage – This type of coverage comes in partnership with Enterprise Rent-A-Car. You are free to choose Rental Company of your choice and also the level of coverage to meet your needs.
• Emergency Road Service – This service is available with sign and drive option. This coverage allows an individual to get emergency repairs for covered towing and labor operations. You need not worry about the upfront payments too.
Safety Program from American Family
Teen Safe Driver Program – With this program you can see the driving habits of a teen driver you are concerned about. The company itself cannot view the driving. This has been made possible with in-built technology called “drive-cam”.
Not only it allows you to view the habits, but a professional coach also offers tips that help in improving driving.
Ratings, Customer Service & Awards received
Insure.com carried out a survey and found that 86 percent of the customers were planning to renew their coverage. The company has excellent ratings by J.D. Power and Associates. Better Business Bureau rates the company as A+ and company has got “A” Excellent by A.M. Best.
American family has shown good track records and has received good ratings. Not only this, but it has also received awards for community service. It received Gold award for its approach to employee health from Wellness Council of America.
For its effort to improve bicycle safety in Madison, the company also received bronze medal from The League of American Bicyclists. It also received Teen Driving Safety Leadership Award in 2010 from National Safety Council.
Pros and Cons of American Family
- It has an excellent record of customer satisfaction and claims.
- It gives many discounts and benefits to its customers including a unique teen safe driver program.
- It coverage is only available in 19 states.
- If you are looking for explanation of benefits or need a quote, navigation is quite hard on official website.
- The company needs your VIN to receive insurance quote which makes people uncomfortable to share. Also, there are many people who do not have VIN.
However if you wish to get quote for the policy or have any query, you can log on to American Family Insurance website. You can also call on 800-692-6326. You can take help of local agent too.