Companies are legal entities having their own assets and risks. Hence, the captive insurance company is established to meet the risk management needs of its members. It covers all the risks. The captive insurance company operates like a commercial insurance company.
Types of Captive Insurance Company
There are various types of captive insurance companies as prescribed below.
Single Parent Company: Single parent company is that which insures the risks of only its parent company. It is also called a pure captive insurance company.
Another kind of captive insurance company is an association or group companies, agency captive insurance companies, risk retention groups, branch captives, producer-owned Reinsurance Companies, senior or diversified captive insurance companies, and much more.
Benefits from the Captive Insurance Company
This captive insurance company provides significant benefits as it’s a risk management strategy for the company. It is benefited from many taxes and non-tax benefits as prescribed below:
- Insuring risk
- Give access to the lower-cost reinsurance market
- Asset protection from the claims of the personal creditors
- Accumulation of wealth as a tax-favored tool
- Tax saving benefits as such estate tax saving, income tax saving for parents as well as a captive insurance company
- Tax deduction of the insurance premium to the parent company which is paid to the captive
- Captive insurance company tax benefits/ investment restrictions
- Captive insurance company tax shelter/ example/ definition