When you are travelling or simply want to complete some work not possible to complete on a small screen device, it is not always possible to get the wifi access to use internet on a laptop. Whether at home or outdoors, there is simple way to get internet services on a PC or laptop from any 3G or 4G network on your iPhone.
Follow this guide on how to turn an iPhone into a Wi-Fi hotspot to find internet connection whenever and wherever you need.
Establish Wifi Hotspot on iPhone
- Open the Settings on your iPhone
- Choose Cellular
- Tap on Personal Hotspot option (turn on the personal hotspot feature by sliding on the on/off tab)
There are different ways you can use the personal hotspot to access internet on the PC or laptop wifi, USB and Bluetooth. While the process is almost the same, herein we have included the instructions for each to reduce your problems.
Connect PC/Laptop to Personal Hotspot with Wifi
- Go to the Settings on your iPhone
- Choose Personal Hotspot
- Set the hotspot to ‘On’ mode (do not leave this screen or use the iPhone for anything else throughout the time it is connected to the other device where you want to access the internet)
- Provide the phone name and wifi password when prompted
- On your device (laptop/PC) go to Settings
- Choosing Wifi in the settings, search for iPhone in the list
- Click on Wifi Network tab to connect the device on the personal hotspot
- Enter your personal hotspot password when prompted
Connect PC/Laptop to Personal Hotspot with USB
If you want to use personal hotspot on a Macbook or PC from iPhone make sure, you have the latest version of iTunes on the device.
- Connect your PC/Macbook to the iPhone with the USB cable.
- When the dialog box with the message ‘Trust This Computer’ flashes on the screen, tap Trust to proceed.
- Open iTunes on the Mac and make sure if you are able to detect the iPhone
- On Mac go to System Preferences
- Choose Network
- From the available network options choose iPhone USB (if you are not able to see the network options, click on the ‘+’ to find)
- Click on the ‘Setting’ sign at the bottom left of the screen
- Choose ‘Make Service Inactive’
- Now choose ‘Make Service Active’ to complete the set up
Connect Mac Device to Personal Hotspot with Bluetooth
- Click on the Bluetooth icon in the menu bar
- If you want to set up personal hotspot on iPhone, choose iPhone as iOS device
- Now click Network
- Choose Bluetooth Pan in the Network list
What If You are Not Able to Connect Personal Hotspot with Bluetooth
- Go to the Settings on your iPhone
- Set the Personal Hotspot to ‘On’ mode
- Select Bluetooth (make sure you stay on this screen without using the iPhone during the entire span when the other device is connected)
- Restart your iPhone and the device you want to connect
- On the Mac/iPad/iPod touch, tap Settings
- Select Bluetooth
- Now on your Mac device, choose Apple Menu
- Click System Preferences
- Choose Bluetooth
- The name of the device providing the personal hotspot appears on the Mac screen, Click ‘Pair’ and then follow the instructions to complete the settings
Note: It is not possible to share date from one iPhone to another over the Bluetooth connectivity. If you are not able to find the ‘Personal Hotspot’ on your iPhone make sure, you select the internet plan with your carrier offering the wifi hotspot facility.
Reasons to Convert Your iPhone to a Personal Hotspot
There are so many reasons why people often want to use the iPhone to establish internet connection with personal hotspot. With a low cost add-on every month, you can get the personal hotspot feature on iPhone suitable to use internet connectivity to a PC/laptop at less expense.
Make the most of the excess monthly data allotment on the iPhone to complete work on large screen devices.